Kaltura is an online media management platform for storing, publishing, and streaming video and other media such as audio recordings and images. Kaltura takes care of video conversion and transcoding, ensuring that your videos play well even if your viewers are on the other side of the globe. Kaltura drives the Princeton MediaCentral (Links to an external site.) video repository and can be used to stream video within a course via Kaltura’s integration with Canvas.
The Canvas integration of Kaltura consists of three parts:
- Kaltura My Media, a searchable repository for viewing and managing your personal media content. Content added to My Media is available to be published to any course you are associated with, as well as to be embedded via the Canvas Rich Content Editor (RCE)
- Media Gallery, a gallery of media content associated with a specific course.
- RCE Plugin, an add-on tool in the Canvas Rich Content Editor for embedding Kaltura content wherever the editor is available.
Why use Kaltura?
- While it is possible to upload video files directly into Canvas, video files can be quite large and this filesize counts against your personal storage quota. Files uploaded into Kaltura are stored on a separate media server.
- The Katura media server is a streaming media service that can adapt video playback depending on bandwidth, network conditions, and the device to which it is delivering video. Media is delivered in a continuous stream, allowing users to view the video without actually downloading it, resulting a better viewing experience.
- Kaltura supports captioning. Captions can be requested for videos uploaded into Kaltura, or one or several captions files can be added to the Kaltura player.
- Kaltura includes an online video editing interface with which you can create clips or insert notifications or quiz questions at specific moments during video playback.
- Videos uploaded to your Kaltura My Media gallery can be imported into other courses and even into discussion board posts.
How to Add Kaltura to Your Course:
To be enable in a Canvas course, Kaltura must first be added to the course menu:
- Scroll to the bottom of the left-hand course menu and click Settings.
- Select the tab at the top of the page labeled Navigation.
- To enable My Media, find the item labeled Kaltura My Media in the lower portion of the navigation list and drag it into the upper section.
- To enable the Course Media Gallery, find the item labeled Kaltura Media Gallery and RCE plugin in the lower portion of the navigation list and drag it into the upper section.
- Be sure to click the Save button at the bottom of the page.
- The Kaltura tools should now be visible in your course menu.
Getting started with Kaltura: https://princeton.service-now.com/service?id=kb_article&sys_id=d02d67e94fb4ba008ef028928110c727