Gradescope is an assessment platform that allows you to collect and streamline grading of paper-based assignments and exams. Gradescope can be used for different types of questions including multiple-choice, fill in the blank, and short/long answers. It is especially valuable when grading hand-written responses—e.g. equations, formulas or drawings—in large enrollment classes. Students submit their exam to Gradescope by scanning and uploading their response directly to the tool (student submissions can also be scanned by the instructor)
Why Use Gradescope?
Canvas’ own grading tool is user-friendly and robust and will suffice for many courses. For some courses, however, Gradescope will be a better (and faster) option.
- Gradescope simplifies grading in for large enrollment courses, especially when multiple graders are grading at the same time.
- Gradescope allows each grader to grade particular questions on each exam.
- Gradescope has a flexible rubric that allows for additive or subtractive grading.
- Gradescope is also make it easy to grade hand-written responses that include equations.
- Gradescope can greatly reduce the time it takes to grade assignments such as problem sets.
How to Add Gradescope to Your Course
Gradescope can be enabled in your Canvas:
- Scroll to the bottom of the left-hand course menu and click Settings.
- Select the tab at the top of the page labeled Navigation.
- Find the item labeled Gradescope in the lower portion of the navigation list and drag it into the upper section.
- Be sure to click the Save button at the bottom of the page.
- A link to Gradescope should now be visible in your course menu.
Gradescope Video Testimonial, Center for Teaching Innovation, Cornell University