ED is a discussion board that we are encouraging people to use instead of tools such as Piazza. Ed is a threaded discussion tool with the following features:
- Discussion board posts can be marked as ‘Read’ as in the Discussion tool, but can also be marked as ‘Unread’, ‘Starred’, ‘Answered’, ‘Unanswered’, as well as organized into categories that you define. These categorizations can then be used to filter the display of posts.
- Allows for the insertion of run-able programming code snippets.
- Discussion threads can be made private, made available to course staff only.
- Discussions can be configured to allow anonymous posts, opening options for peer and instructor feedback.
- Links to all the courses in which you have used Ed are immediately available in the Ed interface allowing you to easily switch to other discussions.
- Math equations and other symbols may be added to posts by typing LaTex markup directly..
- Ed supports the creation of Post Templates. Post templates allow you to define a structure for student posts, outlining for example the information you expect to be included in each post.
- Supports the use of Markdown for formatting posts.
- Integrated notifications allow you to send announcements to the entire class or to be notified when someone responds to one of your posts.
- Commonly used replies may be saved within Ed and reused. This is helpful when offering recurring feedback on student posts.
ED is available in both Blackboard and Canvas.